Chapra is a city and headquarters of the Saran district in the Indian state of Bihar. It is situated near the junction of the Ghaghara River and the Ganges River.Chhapra grew in importance as a river-based market in the 18th century when the Dutch, French, Portuguese, and English established saltpeter refineries in the area. It was recognized as a municipality in 1864.The city has major rail and road connections with the rest of India and a distance of few minutes from Uttar Pradesh by Train. There is a well known shakti peeth temple in Chapra named Ambika Bhavani.
The city is said to have been part of the ancient Kingdom of kosala. It is mentioned in the historical Record of the 9Th Century with a reference to the village of Dighwa Dubauli. Apparently it was this village of it was this village that supplied a copper plate during the famous ancient king mahendra paladev reign Chhapra has many beautiful temple & religious sites.
|Languages spoken in the area are Hindi, Bhojpuri, English.|
People from Chapra
- Rajendra Prasad, freedom fighter and first president of India
- Saradar Mangal Singh, freedom fighter
- Jayaprakash Narayan, Political Leader From Sitabdiyara, Chhapra
- Bhikhari Thakur, poet and singer, “Shakespeare of Bhojpuri”
- Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Minister of State (Independent Charge) Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
- Brajkishore Prasad, National Activitist
- Daroga Prasad Rai , 10th Chief Minister of Bihar.
- Laloo Prasad Yadav ,Past Member of Parliament from Saran Constituency, Past Chief Minister of Bihar, Past Railway Minister of India.
- Er Sachchidanand Rai MLC Saran Bihar Legislative Council.
- Surur Hoda, Socialist leader and Order of British Empire (OBE) recipient.
- Chitragupta (composer), music director and father of composers Anand-Milind
- Anand-Milind, Music Composer and the sons of Chitragupta (composer).
- Mansur Hoda, Technologist, An alumnus of Surrey University, England.
- Qamar Ahmed, BBC cricket correspondent URDU,Hindi and English
- Jai Prakash University
- Loknayak Jai Prakash Institute Of Technology,Saran
- Rajendra College
- Jila School
- Rajput High School
- Saran Academy School
- Brahman High School
- Rajendra Collegiate
- Jagdam College
- Sadhu Lal Prithvi Chand High School & College, Sidhi Ghat Chapra
- Sant Jaleshwar Academy Bara Louwa Baniapur